help

Reasons for Miscarriage?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 25
clementine1 Posted: Fri, Dec 27 2013 4:02 PM

I just got the results back from a few tests that we had after our most recent miscarriage.  My husband and I both had karyotyping done and it came back normal.  We also had the tissue sent in for chromosome testing and I was assuming that it would come back abnormal like our first one (trisomy 7) but this time it came back normal.  Maybe this is good news?  but I feel absolutely terrible now.  I keep thinking that I did something wrong to make this happen.  I had terrible morning sickness during week 6 and chose to take zofran after 2 days of throwing up every hour.  Then it all just stopped and I don't understand why... it's heartbreaking.

I haven't had an appointment with my doctor yet- the nurse just gave me the results over the phone.  I know he wants to do more testing as soon as my HCG comes back down to 0 (if it ever does!), but I'm wondering if anyone knows some possible reasons for a miscarriage like this?  I'm so angry at my body right now.  I was finally starting to feel semi-normal and now I feel like I've crashed back down.  Is there any hope that this is something that can be fixed?  

me (34) and him (32) + 2 crazy cats

TTC since August 2011

BFP April 2013 - Broken Heart at 7 weeks

BFP November 2013-Broken Heart at 7 weeks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,205
edelweiss98 replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 7:16 PM

I'm sorry for your losses. I didn't gave karyotyping done on my babies so I can't exactly say but just bc there isn't a genetic reason does not mean it was your fault or anything you could have controlled.  Are you going to do any testing on your hormones or anything? I found that I had extremely low progesterone which led to two miscarriages with babies dying around 9 weeks, miscarrying them11-12 weeks and once we fixed that issue with Clomid I had my beautiful healthy twins 8 mos later. I had other testing done, too, on myself, like thyroid, lupus, a few other things, clotting disorder....can't remember them all but the only abnormal result was my progesterone and that was likely a factor in my MCs since my progesterone was very low even with heavily supplementing. However, I think my OB (who presides over an IF clinic) said only 3-4% of women have this issue.

Not Ranked
Posts 447
Luvsmath replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 11:09 PM

Clemetine1- so very sorry for your losses!

Hope this helps: After our most recent loss we sent tissues from the D&C for testing. They were able to grow cells, which were tested. They told us everything was normal based on these cells. As this was our second consecutive loss and we are older, we went for more testing at an advanced reproductive center. They looked at all our clotting agents and antibodies, and most importantly sent the same tissues off to the only lab in the country that does the specific genetic testing on products of conception that our doctor wanted- they get a much closer look than the first lab did. The lab is Natera, located in California. Natera was able to take our karotyping and determine that the tissues were in fact not mine (a female indicator can be maternal tissue), and that there actually was something wrong- our baby girl was trisomy 15. I don't know which labs you used for your testing, however thought you might find this information useful.The news was bittersweet- good to know for sure, but didn't make me feel as much better as I would have thought. We had seen an early heartbeat and the baby was measuring right on schedule at that early appointment.

I've also been reading a book called "Avoiding Miscarriage", which has a flow chart for helping explain potential causes of miscarriage, testing available, and other information that can help you understand what questions to ask and how to get help. Personally, I found that very useful. This book also contains checklists to help you understand what your likelihood is to have certain issues. It's a great resource to help you understand how to help your doctor help you best.

I wish you peace and good luck going forward.

Me = 44, Married 2011

Benign "endocervical" polyp removed from uterus 2/2010

BFP: 11/25/12, Angel 12/28/12 followed by D&C 12/29/12

BFP: 6/22/13, Angel missed miscarriage diagnosed 7/26, D&C 7/30/13 due to Trisomy 15

BFP: 2/04/14 BabyLuck Baby Girl 5 October 2014 - Our rainbow is here!

My charts

Not Ranked
Posts 25
clementine1 replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 9:32 AM

Thank you both for your help.  I feel better today- and I think I would have been upset no matter what the results had been.  Hearing them just brought up all of the hurt and sadness again... which I'm guessing never truly disappears. Luckily my husband is more optimistic and he convinced me to see all of the results as "good" news and that we'll figure out the problem and solve it.  I wish I could have his positive outlook more often! 

I had lots of polyps removed in March 2013 (right before our first BFP) and I'm wondering if they could be related to a clotting disorder... but that's just a wild guess on my part.  The only other issue so far was high prolactin, which we were treating with cabergoline.  I stopped taking it as soon as I got a BFP so I don't think that could be related.

Luvsmath- We did use Natera for the testing, so I'm glad to hear that they are trustworthy.  And I'll definitely be looking for that book.  I think it will make me feel much better to have more information. Wishing you all the best as well.

edelweisss- I'm so happy to hear about your twins!  I hope I have a similar story to tell in the future.  My doctor insisted on checking my progesterone several times during the pregnancy and the levels were always good.  He seems to be very thorough, so I'm hopeful that whatever the issue is, we will figure it out.  

me (34) and him (32) + 2 crazy cats

TTC since August 2011

BFP April 2013 - Broken Heart at 7 weeks

BFP November 2013-Broken Heart at 7 weeks

Not Ranked
Posts 447
Luvsmath replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 11:33 AM

Clementine- glad to hear you are feeling better. Something else you may investigate- Arvigo Mayan Abdominal massage. One thing they will tell you is that polyps can be indicative of a type of congestion in the abdomen. With the massage, they can help align the organs, which can balance hormones and reduce occurrence of cramps and polyps. Others have also found improvement in bladder leakage, cramp and PMS reduction, among others. Western medicine can tell you some things are "normal", however they aren't really and you may find benefit from alternative approaches. https://arvigotherapy.com/ I'm not a doctor, however have found some benefit from these massages in reduction of symptoms and stabilization of temperatures while charting. Good luck!

Me = 44, Married 2011

Benign "endocervical" polyp removed from uterus 2/2010

BFP: 11/25/12, Angel 12/28/12 followed by D&C 12/29/12

BFP: 6/22/13, Angel missed miscarriage diagnosed 7/26, D&C 7/30/13 due to Trisomy 15

BFP: 2/04/14 BabyLuck Baby Girl 5 October 2014 - Our rainbow is here!

My charts

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS